The “Online Food Delivery Market to Hit $161.74 Billion by 2023”, reports the research study published by Adroit Market Research, a global business analytics ands research company. More such statistics and studies done on online food-ordering industry could be easily sighted floating on the Internet, each one more promising than the other one. But why such love? At the core of it lies the ease that food ordering apps bring to us, the customers. It’s a proven psychological fact that humans, when hungry and served with the option to order any amount of delicious looking food with a click, would never take the pain of dragging themselves to the kitchen to cook. Apps like Zomato, UberEats, Swiggy, FoodPanda, etc. have proven it again and again with the rise in yearly revenues. So if you are an entrepreneur on a look out for an amazing and proven business strategy, there is no better market than online food-ordering to build an empire upon.
Read further to know the working of food-aggregators, food-ordering apps, features involved, technology required, and finally, the cost you have to pay to build an online food ordering app like UberEats.
How do Online Food Delivery Apps work?
The app is, of course, at the centre of business, but some arrangements are required to be put around it before your business flies, and one such things is restaurant-delivery boy network. The restaurants in the network would first register themselves on the application. When the user places the order using the client-side of the app, the request is sent to the chosen restaurant owner. The owner can read all his pending or delivered orders using his side of application, also called Restaurant Panel. Once the food is prepared, the application sends an alert to the nearby delivery boy awaiting food orders. This process of assigning food orders is done using an advanced algorithm, known as queue algorithm.
All the details like name of user, address, phone no., etc, are then sent to the delivery boys system called Delivery Panel. Once the payment is received, all three panels, along with the admin, are notified, and the profits are shared adequately. Let’s discuss each panel of food ordering application in detail.
IMAGE CREDIT: Business Model Inc.
What are the Features in Food Delivery Mobile App’s User Panel?
Users can download the application from Android’s play store or Apple’s App Store. Following features would be available once the user open the application.
1. Login/SignUp: User needs to register using either of these options: Mobile Number, Email, or social media account. All the order related details would be sent on the registered email account. An OTP process must be used for verification of user.
2. Location: Hotels, restaurants, and other food joint would be made available to the user depending upon his or her location.
3. Homepage: A clean home page would display the option for setting account details, coupon codes, reviews, list of nearby hotels, etc.
4. Menu: The menu options offers a detailed look of everything available in the menu of the selected restaurant. User can choose any food and it to his cart.
5. Food Cart: Users can add their desired food products in the cart, and pay for them all at once, instead of paying for every individual item.
6. Payment Integration: Once the order is placed, users can pay online using UPIs or wallets.
7. Reviews Screen: After completing the meal, users can review the quality of delivery and food.
8. Past orders: Users can see what they have ordered in the past, and can repeat any order if they feel like it.
9. Offers and Discounts: Discount coupons, refreel points, new user discount, etc. to make attract the users.
10. Order Tracking : This enables users to track the most current and accurate location of the delivery boy.
11. Search Bar : Users can search for any food or restaurant using keyword
What are the Features in Food Delivery Mobile App’s Restaurant Panel?
1. Dashboard: This screen keep track of pending orders, past order, payment status, etc.
2. Accept/Reject Orders: Not all orders could be fulfilled, so cancelling them at the right time is required. Owner can cancel the order if he thinks that it’s too late to take any new order, or the customer is too far from the location, or if the item is not available in the stock.
3. Manage Profile: This section helps owners im updating any detailed related to their location, like name of restaurant, business logo, description, menu items, etc.
4. Payment: This screen allows to transfer funds from the system to the back accounts, and helps in viewing daily revenue report.
What are the Features in Food Delivery Mobile App’s Delivery Boy Panel?
a. Login –Login credentials will be given by the admin/aggregator to the delivery boy
b. Order request- When a user places an order, it is assigned to the delivery boy based on his current location. The order create an alert on his panel, which he can choose to accept or reject. If he accepts it, order details will be displayed on his panel.
c. Order Status- Order status is categorised in three ways: pickced, on the way, and delivered. Users can track when the status once the order is one the way. After the package is delivered, payments can be made by cash.
d. Order History- Delivery boy can see his previous delivery locations
e. Call/ chat- In case the delivery boy finds it hard to find a location, he can contact the restaurant or the customer via call or message
f. Push notifications- Any new updates from any side would be displayed on screen
g. Offline Payment: If the user hasn’t paid online already, delivery boy can collect the payment via offline mode. Received payment will be updated on all systems.
h. GPS tracking- Detects the location of delivery boy in real time.
i. Payment History- This screen shows the earnings of delivery boy, the amount received on cash-on-delivery
g. Tech support- If any technical problem arises in application
k. Google MAP (Navigation)– Helps delivery boy search for the location of customers
What are the Advances Features of the Food Ordering App
1. Queue algorithm
As we discussed above, the queue algorithm is responsible for assigning the delivery task to a delivery boy based on his location. This is an integral of an app like UberEats ao atumoate the delivery assignment task.
2. Push Notifications for Delivery Status
This feature helps both the restaurant and the customer. Once the food is delivered it sends a notification to the restaurant. Customers are also notified minutes before their order is about to reach their home.
3. Real-time Analytics
Real-time analytics delivers you the key insights about revenue, nature of order, what food is liked by most people, time of the day that receives the most number of orders, etc.
4. Social Media Integration
Customers can share what they ate or are eating using the app with their friends on social media.
5. Find by
This a quick feature that helps users to place an order depending upon the time of the day, like findy by lunch, dinner, or breakfast, etc.
What are the Technologies Required to Build an App Like UberEats?
As there are multiple parties involved in this entire setup, and everything needs to be carried and updated in realt-ime, a robust architecture needs to be put into place for building food-ordering app. Following technologies and tools are advised from our side:
A. For Payment – Braintree & PayPal, Netbanking, Stripe, EWallets
B. For Cloud Environment – AWS, Google, Azure
C. For GPS Tracking: Google Location API for Android, Core Location Framework for iOS
D. For Real-time direction tracking: MapKit (Apple) , Android Google Maps API (Android)
E. For listing the restaurants as per the range or location: Foursquare’s API.
F. For Easy Registration Procedure: Facebook SDK login system (or other social media login)
G. For storage: Amazon Cloud Storage.
H. For Data Backup: Amazon’s S3 Bucket and CloudFront
I. For Analytics and Performance Comparison: Google Analytics or MixPanel.
Required Team Structure
When you are contacting a company for developing a food delivery app, make sure they have the following experts:
A. Project Manager
C. iOS Developer,
D. Back-end App Developer
E. UX/UI Designers,
G. QA Testers
Development Process of Food Delivery App
Image Credit: The App Entrepreneur.com
How Much Does it Cost to Develop Food Delivery Mobile Apps
There is no upper hand when it comes to developing a food delivery app like UberEats. Factors like app complexity, size, additional features, and number mobile platforms you want the app to run on, and country where your project is being handled affect the cost greatly. To give you an idea, apps with basic features could cost $10,000 – $15,000. We have further classified the processes involved in the development of food delivery app.
i. Technical documentation: 42 hours – $800 to $1200
ii. UI/UX design: 58 Hours – $1300 to $2800
iii. Front-end & Back-end development: 380 Hours – $6,800 to $ 14,750
iv. MVP testing: 78 Hours – $1800 to $3700
v. Bug fixing: 40 hours – $800 to $1700
vi. As iOS app development is somewhat different, the prices and processes change to a certain extent.